Monday, January 10, 2011

I hate Goals

I've never been a goal oriented person.  I see something I want and I achieve it.  Cut and dry.  Very simple.  I realize that the process by which that is accomplished is part of the "goal" but I just don't think of it that way.  Same with resolutions.  I used to make them each new year and about 7 days in I was done and back to my old ways not to mention it was always the same thing--to lose weight, though there was never a planned process by which I would actually implement changes into my life to make the goal a reality, so I always ditched that "resolution" fairly quickly.

This year I feel slightly different about it.  I don't think of these things as goals or resolutions.  More like improvements in my life than some statement of what I want.  So without further ado I'd like to share my foci for the year. 

Read.  Yeah, the first focus is that simple.  I hate reading.  Always have.  But Lucy loves books.  LOVES books and I love that for her.  So I have come to love shopping for new books, looking at the new books with her, and watching her enjoying her books.  I really feel that if I am going to foster her love for books and hopefully extend that to reading, she needs to see that I love books too.  Like it's something natural around our household.  While this may not be a big thing for most people it's big for me, so I'm giving it a whirl.

Eat Mindfully.  Yes, I need to lose weight.  Who doesn't? But my greater focus is learning what types of foods make my body more healthy and feel better, more energetic.  The result of that will hopefully be weight loss, however if I'm going to teach my daughter how to make good for you food choices then I need to know how to do that myself.  Phil and I are on a doctor supervised diet plan and this is really helping me to understand food as fuel instead of simply something that tastes good.  It's a lifestyle change, but for a greater good than just weightloss.

Reach out.  Meet new people and new opportunities.  Make new friends.  Pretty simple.  And even if we have the same friends at the end of this year as when we started the year the attempt to get outside of our comfort box needs to at least be made!

There are some other things in my mind but these are the front runners right now.  I'll leave these thoughts fluid with the right reserved to change my mind at any given time.  ;)  I'm my boss' worst nightmare.  He asks for my goals and I tell him I don't have any.  If I see something I want to do I just do it.  There is no action plan, it just gets done.  If I decide I want to do something in the future I'll let him know.  You should see my performance evaluations in the goal section!  It's pretty laughable but then again, he's used to me by now.

Let's see what 2011 has in store for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment