Monday, March 7, 2011

...do not hinder them...

Every night after Lucy's bath we read the plaques on her bedroom wall while I dry her hair and finish dressing her.  She looks forward to it so much that she points to the words and smiles.  I love it.  One plaque I talked about here and the other I haven't taken a picture of but it is a pink and green cross that reads 2 Corinthians 5:7 For we walk by faith not by sight.  My favorite moment was a couple weeks ago when we were reading the pink and green cross and Lucy said "wow!" which showed me a child's reaction to scripture.  We also talk about the Bible and I always recite Matthew 19:14 to Lucy during our bedtime rituals.  She is so interested when we are talking about God and I feel like it is our job to teach her, or at least lead her to where she can learn about Him.

Here's the problem.  I work every Sunday.  My job requires 8 weekend shifts (Saturday or Sunday) per 8 week schedule which can equal whatever days you want as long as you have 8.  My schedule since I began working has always been every Sunday, which wasn't that big of a deal when I worked nights since I went to church in the morning and napped in the afternoon before work.  About 3 years ago I switched to an all days schedule and maintained my every Sunday schedule, which I really hated because church was eliminated at least in the form of Sunday morning church I have always known.  And Saturdays are the only day Phil and I had off together.  Then I had Lucy.

Phil and I have been talking for months about how we need to take Lucy to church and reinvent that portion of our lives but I have yet to create the schedule necessary to make that a reality.  I know there are churches that have services other days of the week, but my church does not.  Which is the second part of the problem.  I am Lutheran.  Was raised Lutheran, wed in a Lutheran church, Lucy was Christened in the same church.  I love the way we worship and believe as the church teaches.  Obviously "becoming" another denomination is a difficult task I am not fully embracing it.  Phil is a little more open so it's really just me.  And I am trying to over come it but I'm not doing so well.  The ultimate goal is for our family to worship together and for Lucy to learn all the ways of God and I feel like at this point I am hindering it.  I can't give up our Saturdays together as a family, I can't embrace a new schedule, and I can't think about becoming a member of a non-Lutheran church.  I am the one slowing our journey. 

So, at night as I recite Matthew 19:14 to Lucy it's part of my reminding myself that I need to make this a focus.  I know so many of my friends have struggled with finding a church home for their family and I know you understand at least a part of my challenges.  Any prayers you can offer on our behalf are greatly welcome.  This is so important to us and I'm truly at a loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment