Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Goals check in

At the beginning of the year I wrote about my dislike for goals and instead set some foci for the year.  If they are going to be a focus for the year, I need to check in and see how I'm doing in the hopes I will become more eager to accomplish them.  Here we go:

Read.  I'm actually doing well with this.  And the more I read the more I enjoy it, I'm just seriously lacking in spare time and by the end of my day unless I am required to do it, it's just not getting done.  I wanted to be done with my first book by February, but I'm still reading it.  I feel like I'm behind, but trying to remind myself I'm doing it for fun so I don't stress too much about it.  The book I'm currently reading is The Proper Care & Feeding of Marriage and if I'd looked at the author I probably wouldn't have chosen it.  I think Dr. Laura Schlessinger is a bit, um unrealistic, in some of her thoughts, but as I've gotten further in the book I realized there is some good take away messages so I've pressed on.  Phil was a little shocked when he saw the book and thought maybe I was hinting at something but I think the January book choice spoke well to the difficult times I was having with Lucy that month and the fact that I think once the children come along the marriage relationship turns more into a parenting relationship and the marriage can lack if you aren't focused on continuing to strenghten it.  That was my point in choosing this book, so that I can learn more about ways to strengthen our marriage, thus strengthening our parenting.  So far so good.

Eating Mindfully.  Not so good.  I sort of ditched my dietary efforts after the January from the depths of hell emotionally/parentally speaking.  Most days off I was lucky to eat anything before 2pm and by that time I just needed something in my belly and of course chose my comfort foods--any carbs, anything sweet.  So, therefore, I'm trying to get back on track.  And I guess the redeeming fact here is that while some of my day may have been shot calorie wise, I did try to eat a healthy dinner and limit my indulgence to "lunch" so I have made a little progress.

Make new friends.  No progress here.  I have to be honest and say I haven't even tried.  I have all year, so why rush in. 

Let's see how February treats me and we'll reevaluate in March.

No comments:

Post a Comment